An Expat Life: Nicaragua Blues and Ruse

Thursday, March 1, 2007

Jamie the Patriot


Last night, I did my civic duty....I brought the Country Blues to Nicaragua. In celebration of African-American History Month, the Cultural Section of the Embassy organized a series of lectures, and asked me to talk with a group of students, professionals, and others interested in U.S. culture. So....in this spirit, I discussed a theme that really transcends borders, languages, and all other artificial boundaries of the human spirit.....music. I talked about early 20th-century Blues pioneers: Leadbelly, Blind Willie Johnson, and Blind Blake.

The night was a success, if I must say so.....despite choosing a twice-convicted murdering communist (Leadbelly) as one of my shining examples..... hahahahaha

No comments: